Child dealt with persistent cough for many years, until ‘surgeons found this stuck in his throat’!
For the last five years of his life, 8-year-old boy Marley reportedly dealt with a harsh cough, his mom, Skye, said. Unfortunately, the little boy has faced breathing problems and a persistent cough for the majority of his life. Doctors continually diagnosed him with various conditions, including asthma and allergies. However, it has now been revealed that the little boy had swallowed something that has been lodged in his throat ever since. His mom also said her son began having coughing fits while eating. He would cough so much, it would go on for hours upon hours, and said it was getting scary for the mother.
The little toy was a plastic flower that the boy apparently swallowed when he was a three-year-old toddler. However, no one realized he had swallowed the item until he went through tons of treatments for asthma and allergies. Marley’s health was becoming a very serious problem due to the blockage in his throat. He also was struggling to keep up with his peers during weekend basketball and soccer games. He simply could not catch his breath when he got going.
Although doctors initially diagnosed Marley with asthma, his mother doubted the diagnosis because he suffered from coughing after eating and drinking food, which is not typical of asthma. Skye was shocked that the toy was blocking her boy’s throat. However, she was glad that it was simply only a toy and not something more serious.
“I was absolutely shocked. But also really relieved, to be honest, because out of all these years, I finally had an answer,” she said. “My main concern at that point in time was that he was actually born with that condition. Because if he had been born with it, he would have had other issues. To know it was caused by a foreign body, it was a slight bit of relief for me. My message to other parents is that if you feel like there is something wrong, just keep pushing for it. I am so glad I did because it means I have him today.”