According to her family, the 16-year-old girl, Jasmin, met an untimeIy end after she collapsed at college, displaying blotches, and despite the valiant efforts of doctors to resuscitate her for 15 minutes, she ultimately lost the battle. In the days leading up to her passing, the girl attended her grandfather’s funeral, adding an extra layer of sorrow to the community’s grief.

A post mortem examination revealed peritonitis, an inflammation of the abdominal tissue, caused by an infected hairball in the girl’s stomach. The pathologist shed light on the severity of the condition, highlighting the tragic consequences of an otherwise unusual health complication. Tributes have poured in for the teen, who had been coping with a condition known as Rapunzel syndrome.

This rare occurrence involves the formation of hairballs in the digestive tract due to an individual ingesting their own hair. Jasmin’s habit of sucking and chewing on her own hair, often a sign of this syndrome, had sadly contributed to her health complications. As the community rallies to provide support, the fundraising campaign, driven by the desire to assist the grieving family, has received overwhelming support from local residents. 

With less than 120 reported cases in medical literature, the condition almost always affects women, adding to the rarity and complexity of the situation. As the community grapples with the loss of Jasmin, the outpouring of support and the ongoing fundraising efforts stand as a testament to the collective effort to provide solace to a grieving family during this heartbreaking time.