Ward County 4-H members place at 4-H State Air Rifle Championship Match
MINOT, N.D. – Ward County 4-H had 10 youth compete in the 4-H State Air Rifle Championship Postal Match hosted by Ramsey County 4-H. Shooters filled their targets at their own range under the guidance of a certified air rifle instructor just prior to March 27. The targets were then mailed to the Ramsey County Extension Office located in Devils Lake for ranking.
Match categories are split up by age to include Beginner (ages eight to 10), Junior (11 to 13), and Senior (14 to 18). Beginners shoot from a sitting position off a bench rest. Juniors and Seniors compete shooting from standing, kneeling, and prone positions. Sporter air rifles, shooting .177 caliber pellets at a velocity of 600 fps or less and AR 5/10 International 10-meter air rifle targets are the equipment used.
Competing in the Junior division were:
– Kiley Whillock, Kenmare, 2nd place, score of 452.
– Layne Korgel, Minot, 3rd place, 441.
– Olivia Jansen, Minot, 6th place, 379.
– Alyssa Korgel, Minot, 8th place, 357.
– Landen Jansen, Minot, 10th place, 353.
– Also competing were Zachary Korgel, Minot, and Matthew Wald, Norwich
– The team of Whillock, L. Korgel, O. Jansen, and A. Korgel earned 2nd place with a score of 1272.
– The team of L. Jansen, Z. Korgel, and M. Wald earned 3rd place with a score of 883.
Competing in the Beginner division were:
– Evelyn Wald, Norwich, 2rd place, score of 544.
– Owen Wald, Norwich, 10th place, 493.
– Also competing was Jacob Detert, Minot.
– The team of E. Wald, O. Wald, and Detert earned 3rd place with a score of 1360
Coach Nathan Sutton helped the youth submit their scores.